the internet Polish Genealogical Source
Lubicz ArmaArms: Azure, a horseshoe argent, heels to base, surmounted of a cross patee, and a second within the heels, both Or. For a crest, three ostrich plumes, proper.
There is a horseshoe shown as in the arms of Dabrowa and Pobog, with two crosses, of which one is atop the shoe, the other in its center. The shield is blue in color, the crosses white [Translator's Note: This is incorrect, the crosses are yellow, or gold). Atop the helmet are three ostrich plumes. Thus it is is described in Okolski, Vol. 2, p. 185; Klejnoty [Crests), p. 65; and Bielski, p. 134.
The author Baszko described the origin of these arms, saying that they were acquired during a battle with the Prussians in 1190: "Having established peace at home, Kazimierz began to war against those Prussians who are called 'Polesians', to avenge the death of his brother Henryk - died 1166}. Sons of his brothers - Boleslaw, son of Mieczyslaw, and Boleslaw the Tall and Mieczyslaw, sons of Wladyslaw - followed him into this campaign. During one battle, the enemy army had ambushed and broken through our forces. A certain soldier from that family that bears a horseshoe with a cross led an attack with his own forces, companions under his authority, and all the enemy fled straightway. This soldier captured the enemy commander, Bearers of these Arms brought him to Kazimierz, and handed him over to him. As a reward Kazimierz gave him many possessions, in recognition of his splendid services, and added a second gold cross to the original token atop the horseshoe"
It is true that Paprocki, describing the house of the Lubicz Łętkowskis, cites mention in old charters of Paweł Łętkowski, the cupbearer of Plock, etc., in the year 108l. The printer, however, must have made an error in giving the year, it should have been 128l. This occasion of the arms' origin took place on the river Drwęca, once called Lubicz. It seems more likely that the new addition [i. e., of the second cross] was made to one of the Pobog clan, not of Jastrzębiec, and that the Lubicz arms took their origin from those of Po bog. Nakielski mentions Budzislaw of this same clan, a land owner of Łęczyca district, on p. 70 of his book on Miechów, saying that in the year 1225 he added the village of Chotha to the lands of the Miech6w monastery in perpetuity, regarding which he cites a letter of Konrad, prince of Łęczyca.
[Added note to Niesiecki's text by the 19th-century editor, J, N, Bobrowicz]: Besides the families mentioned by Niesiecki, later heraldicians, such as Duńczewski, Kuropatnicki, Małachowski, and others, give the following families as also using these arms:
Not all those names mentioned above use Lubicz arms in the same form [Translator's note: in the list exceptions are marked with an asterisk*]. First of all, some have it that there is only one cross, in the center of the horseshoe, and no second one atop it; the families of Hercyk, Kopec, Mońkiewicz, Tupik, Stabrowski and Włlkowicki use this form in their seals. Others, such as the Piadzewski's, have two crosses, one over the other, within the horseshoe. The Żabkas, however, have only one cross, in the center of the horseshoe, but put a star over it and stars at the ends of the shoe on each side; additionally they have on its left side and end, between the star and shoe, an arrow, point upward, at a slight angle. In the parish church in Malbork there is a similar shield, except the cross atop the shoe appears to be joined with the cross in the center. This was the clan shield of Wawrzeniec Reder, who died in 1582; there are Reders in Silesia who are noble (see Heindensztein's History of Moschov).
- translated by Leonard Suligowski
For Website Corrections or
Copyright © 2013 internet
Polish Genealogical Source All Rights Reserved
Last Updated on
September 11, 2013
Copyright © 2013 internet Polish Genealogical Source All Rights Reserved
Last Updated on September 11, 2013